How to fix “Slmgr is not recognized as an internal or external command”, a common error when you are not using a genuine copy of the Windows operating system. This may cause an unresponsive slmr and you may find that the slmgr rearm not working error.
How to fix “Slmgr is not recognized as an internal or external command”
To override this problem and fix the “Slmgr is not recognized” issue here we have discussed in the article, all three proven methods to fix the issue. If you want to fix the “Windows copy is not genuine issue you may follow this article here: How to Fix Windows is not Genuine.
What is SLMGR in Windows 7/8/8.1/10?
SLMGR is a Windows Software Management Tool. A tool that manages Windows software license.
A pirated or trial version of Windows runs smoothly for a certain period of 30 days. Once this period is over, you will get a notification s a pop-up or on the right bottom corner of your desktop stating “Windows is not Genuine”
Here, SLMGR is configured to monitor the genuinity of Windows and whether your Windows is activated using a real Activation code or not. If SLMGR finds an anomaly, it sends the message to the uses in the form of Pop-up or a stamp right on your desktop.
“Slmgr is not recognized as an internal or external command”
when you do not use the Genuine copy of Windows 7/8/10, ‘Slmgr is not recognized as an internal or external command’ is a common error that occurs.
But there are some other reasons due to which you face this error. Also when you go for fixing Windows is not genuine error while using command “SLMGR –REARM” you get the same error. The other reasons behind includes-
Reasons for SLMR error:
- A wrong registry entry in Windows caused the Windows Software Licensing Rearm program to register the license incorrectly.
- Wrong use of command SLMGR
- A specific computer or laptop denies rearming, etc.
What is the Use of SLMGR-REARM Command?
REARM, a dos console Windows shortcut command which is used to fix or reset the license status of your Windows running PC. This is an unethical process to sustaining your Windows license after the trial period of 30 days is over. In short, REARM is used to make a pirated copy of Windows genuine.
Fix “Slmgr is not recognized as an internal or external command”
How to use REARM?
Windows is the most used operating system around the world. according to a survey, more than 30 percent of Windows running PC is using a cracked or pirated version of Windows. To counterfeit, this Microsoft recently announced to give away a pirated copy of Windows 10 to the user.
You may get an error “slmgr-rearm not working error abruptly appears”, while running REARM command.
There are two proven methods to fix the slmgr error on Windows.
Method 1: Use “SLMGR /REARM” instead “SLMGR -REARM” command
Step 1: Click on Start button. Then open Command Prompt as Administrator.
Step 2: Navigate to windows\system32. by typing cd\windows\system32
Step 3: Type C:\windows\system32>SLMGR –REARM and press enter.
This should fix the slmgr is not recognized as an internal or external command error. If this command seems not to work, you may proceed to the next method.
Method 2: Rename “slmgr.vbs” to fix slmgr not recognized.
This method includes a bit of advanced level of computer knowledge. You need to rename “slmgr.vbs” to something else in order to disable the disarming in Windows.
slmgr.vbs file resides under the default System32 folder under the Windows installation partition of your hard disk. You need to navigate and rename the file. Follow the Steps below to rename “slmgr.vbs”.
- Go to “C:\Windows\system32” folder
- Scroll down to the files and find ‘slmgr.vbs.REMOVEWAT’. OR Search for the files using the search box.
- once navigated, right-click on ‘slmgr.vbs.REMOVEWAT’ and select rename. You can also press F2 the Windows shortcut to rename the file.
- Rename the file ‘slmgr.vbs.REMOVEWAT’ to ‘slmgr.vbs’
- Hit OK on the confirmation pop-up box.
- Save and restart Windows.
This will fix slmgr REARM command not working error and if successfully done you will no longer face this error.
Method 3: Fix SLMGR error by adding Path
If you have followed all the methods including running CMD as administrator. But, even after typing the right format of the command you are still getting “slmgr is not recognized as an internal or external command” error.
It’s time to change the program path by editing the Windows Environment Variables. You can fix the slmgr error by adding the proper path in the environment variables section, you can fix the problem. Follow the steps below to add the path to fix the slmgr error in Windows.
- Right-click on your Computer icon and select properties or press the Windows+Pause key.
- Click on the ‘Advanced system setting‘.
- Locate and click the Environment Variables section on the right bottom corner of the new windows.
- Under the System Variables box, locate the ‘PATH’ and select it.
- Click edit and add a new path “C:\Windows\system32“
- Save the changes and settings made.
- Restart Windows and execute the above-mentioned methods by running command prompt as administrator.
So, here was the all three proven methods you can use to fix the “slmgr is not recognized as an internal or external command”. You can use all three methods one by one in order to fix slmgr error on your Windows.